Thursday, April 30, 2009

"I don't want to eat my vegetables"


So, as any mother of almost any toddler knows, meal time can be a real battle sometimes. Well, it is a battle that I chose not to fight for the last 3 years. The rule in our house was that you eat what is on your plate, or not, but don't ask for anything else if you choose not to finish your dinner. I've read the books, articles in parenting magazines, blogs by other moms with tried and true tricks to get toddlers to eat what you give them. I've put carrots, corn, and cucumber on Nate's plate for over 2 years and he has never tried one. I didn't push the issue... he eats a lot of fruits so I was satisfied. But last night I just couldn't take it anymore. I asked him to eat 1 kernel of corn before he could leave the table and he refused. The picture says it all. After an hour and a half of sitting at the table (no tantrum, no whining, just sitting) he finally fell asleep. I woke him up to put him to bed and he agreed to eat the one kernel of corn so he could watch 5 minutes of Lion King before going to bed!

2 comments:

The 5 of Us said...

Oh my! I love that kid. I can't believe that he sat for an hour and then fell asleep. Wait yes I can I have one of those......such fun. This makes me fell like I am not the only one. Thank you my dear friend.

Big question,

Did he like it????

Vicki said...

I love it!!! This is the funniest toddler story Ever! You ought to send it to Parenting Mag. They would eat it up (pun intended)! This would probably make the letter of the month, if not the year! So, I'm dying to know what he thought of the kernel (corn would be pleural... haaa haa ha!). Love ya guys! Vicki :)